Technology Program Update
The 2016-17 school year triggered the inaugural launch of our new 1:1 iPad program at FMCS – an event years in the making! We are very thankful for our partnership with Apple and many Florida schools that have helped us along this journey.
“Surveys of student use of iPads report overwhelmingly that students enjoy learning and stay more focused when using iPads (Mango, 2015). ” ESchool News
Screenguide App parent control
Reminder to parents: your annual technology fee is due by August 1st, $300 (Payable by cash, check, or credit card)
The new iPad program is accompanied by a Digital Citizenship class that our students will take two days a week through Common Sense Media and their weekly bible memory verse will integrate with each topic covered.
Year Two: 2017-18
– Middle school students are in year two of the iPad program and Digi City (Digital Citizenship Class)
– NEW shared iPad lab in the Children’s Center for grades preschool thru fifth
– All teachers are using iPads to help them with technology integration. We have Apple TV’s in all classrooms.
– Many of our teachers have completed the Apple Teacher Program
– We continue to utilize Accelerated Reader and Accelerated Math in preschool thru fifth grade; STAR READER and STAR MATH in all grades
– Plans for a STEM lab to be added with in with the shared iPad lab called the Launchpad
– NEW for grades preschool thru fifth grade: SeeSaw
iPad Program Overview: Preparing students for the 21st century is much different than when their parents and grandparents were in school. If our school’s mission is to “academically train and spiritually nurture students to become productive citizens in society and impact others for Jesus Christ,” then we have to work on equipping and preparing our students for the challenges of the world they will grow up in – one whose technology is upgraded almost every day! After visits to several schools, further contact with more schools and organizations, and thorough research, the decision has been made to partner with Apple to use their technology in order to help us train our middle school students. Since the creation of the MacBook and iPad, Apple has been at the forefront of working with schools (from https://www.apple.com/education):
“We believe that technology has the power to transform the classroom. It can pave new ways of thinking. New ways of sparking ideas. Yet the foundation never changes. A dedication to learning that’s always been part of our DNA. We’ve been proud to work alongside educators and students to reinvent what it means to teach and learn. And together we’re doing things we never thought possible”
Vision: As stated above, it is not only a desire to technologically prepare for the 21st century, but it is Fort Myers Christian School’s vision is to help our students integrate their faith with this training. In the same way there is a need for medical missionaries, there is a need for Christians in the technology work force. Technological training is not just limited to how to physically use the product, but how their Christian values relate to the new ethical challenges we face today in digital citizenship.
FMCS Students will:
• use technology as a tool to dig deeper into God’s word to understand He has a plan for their lives
• be instructed how to use and how not to use technology (digital citizenship)
• have access to content from a variety of resources in a variety of styles tailored to the ways they learn best
• will create content to demonstrate mastery and will share that content with others.
• take greater ownership of their device and learn to be responsible for what they have been blessed to receive
• collaborate with teachers, professionals, and peers to enhance learning
FMCS Teachers will:
• use technology as a tool to dig deeper into God’s Word to understand He has a plan for their lives
• have access to content in order to reach students with different learning styles
• encourage students to utilize the tools available to “stir the gift of God in them” (2 Timothy 1:6)
• use technology to take advantage of the “teachable moment”
• use technology to bring appropriate current events to lessons
• will use technology through Renweb to take attendance, input lesson plans and grades
Applicable Bible Verses:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 – “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Philippians 4:8-9 – “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.”
Ephesians 4:3-6 – “Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.” (Social media)Deuteronomy 6:4-9 – “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the door frames of your houses and on your gates.”
Colossians 4:5 – “Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every opportunity.”